some comics i liked this year
i don’t actually know anything about comics but i guess i’ve started reading them again this year so here are a bunch that appealed or mattered or were inspiring to me:
- Strawberries (Mia Schwartz) - i finally got my physical copy of this recently and frig gosh wow
- Big Busty Psychic Celeb Votes Satan (Ben Urkowitz) - anna says that ben is the best person at drawing human bodies and i am inclined to agree
- Until it Runs Clear (Cathy Johnson) - keeping this book on my bedside table as an inspiration to draw more; so much amazing tenderness in the title story
- Internet Comics (Maré Odomo) - maré is a big influence on my writing and experiments in visual storytelling; i love the rhythm of the the spare prose matched up with the hectic, sketchy illustrations
- Out of Skin (Emily Carroll) - terrifying
- Starfighter (Hamletmachine) - i’m less into it now that it’s all about aliens and seems to be moving away from D/s content but still, HM got me into m/m erotica which is something i’ve never had any interest in in the past
- Sex Fantasy 1 & 2 (Sophia Foster-Dimino) - the kind of work that makes you feel like you know the author before you’ve even met them
- Piss Princess (Brian Fukushima) - wow colours! so visually different from anything else i read this year
- TRI❤COLOR (Alex L) - cute & sweet comics about a three-person kink dynamic
I agree with this list, it’s an honor to be on it with all this great stuff by great people! Read and support them all!
Here’s a critique on art school that I appreciate.
Suzy wrote a very nice thing about Jeremiah for The Rookie Gift Guide!
Cathy G. Johnson
This is a gorgeous graphic novel about a quiet farmer’s son with a big secret in the big country. Little bits of explosive dialogue are sandwiched between striking watercolors of pastoral scenery, giving an otherwise troubling narrative a cosmic, meditative quality. In the same vein as Southern Gothic writers like Flannery O’Conner and William Faulkner, Johnson uses silent tension to explore deep questions about sex and morality that might sit heavily with you long after you’ve finished the book. ($10,CathyBoy)
It’s such a super honor to be included in this! I couldn’t stop blushing when Suzy first told me. Thank youuu~~~ <3 <3